Sign In

Forgot your password?

Roma U Glossary

Every Industry has a collection of terms that are commonly used in their world. The custom framing industry has quite a few words that may be unusual or unfamiliar. We have created a short glossary for some of the words that may have you a tad confused.


When accenting art with a mat, using a bevel, or a 45 degree cut, adds a decorative edge and depth, creating an aesthetically pleasing finish.


An irregular growth at the bottom of a tree. It is cut into thin veneer and applied to frames. Burl comes from a very small section of the tree so the pieces of veneer are short. On one length of frame moulding, numerous pieces of burl are laid end to end so seams are expected and a part of the look.


A substrate used to paint or print on.

Clear Glass

Glass made with a smooth, polished surface, most commonly used in framing.

Joined Frame

A frame that is pre-joined and finished at its joining points to appear seamless.

Double Mat

A mat border made from two layers of matboard. The two layers can be the same colour but are often different colours.


A process giving moulding a worn, antiqued finish.


An small moulding designed to be used as an accent inside mat openings.

Floater Frame

A type of moulding used for framing canvases. The art is set into the frame from the front so the surface is not covered.

Floater Mount

To place art on top of a mat rather than in a window behind the mat. Sometimes the art sits directly on the mat but it is often raised to add depth.


A strong, lightweight board used for mounting prints. Foamcore is also used as backing in picture framing.


A decorative structure that surrounds or encloses something such as a photograph or painting.


A plaster substance applied to frame moulding to create a smooth base prior to applying the finish.


A popular method used to produce fine art prints produced on inkjet printers.

Gilded Finish

Applying gold or silver leafing to the surface of the frame. The two primary types used are water gilding and oil gilding.

Mat Opening/Mat Window

The open window within a mat used for displaying artwork.


A decorative length of wood that, when joined, creates a structure called a frame.

Moulding Height

The overall outside dimension of the moulding from its base to its highest point.

Moulding Width

The overall outside dimension of the moulding from its inside edge to its outside edge.

Museum Glass

A premium glass, available to protect framed art from harmful ultraviolet lighting, while also reducing glare and reflection.

Non-Glare Glass

A type of glass that greatly reduces glare.


The outline of a moulding, seen from one side.

Rabbet Height

The height between the base and inner lip of a moulding.


A profile of moulding displaying an inside edge deeper than the wall at the outer edge.

Reverse Bevel

A cut in mattting used to conceal the beveled edge.


A profile of moulding displaying an outside edge deeper than the wall at the inside edge.


A decorative case framed with a protective transparent front, used for displaying valuable merchandise. A shadowbox is generally created using a frame with a deep profile.


A spacer is used to keep glass off the surface of art when a mat is not used. Foamboard strips can also be placed between layers of mat to create space.


The technique of combining two or more mouldings to create one frame.

Stretcher Bar

A wooden frame constructed by artists to properly fasten and mount a canvas.


A thin sheet of wood applied to a larger, coarser piece of wood, used as a finishing technique.

Wall Grouping

The collection of frames of different sizes and shapes hung into one formation on a single wall.